- Don't Procrastinate! The minute you start thinking about selling your home, go room by room and start a list of items that need to be replaced, repaired, or removed. Survey your list and her realistic about the cost for repairs. Concentrate the majority of your budget on major repairs (roofs, septic, furnace, etc.) the kitchen, the bathrooms, and the flooring.
- Take off your rose-colored glasses, and view your home the ways other will. Reality Check: cozy, lived in, well loved space will totally translate into cluttered and dated.
- Take it one room at a time and just keep chipping away. You will feel a huge sense of accomplishment as you check rooms off as completed.
- Its not all cosmetic, a house can be beautiful but it also needs to be sound. Remember your home has to pass a vigorous inspection. Talk about stress!
- Take a photograph of each room and examine areas for improvement. A photogenic home intrigues buyers to want to see more. Gone are the day when buyers needed a realtor to tour a property, now with just a few clicks they can peruse hundreds of properties without getting off their sofa. Remember homes void of color, personality, style are totally forgettable.
- Enlist the help and advise from local Realtors, Home Inspectors, and a Stager (like myself) it is well worth it. We not only provide invaluable tips & techniques we can help ease some of the stress, and we can provide direction and assistance.
My advise is to remain diligent, and be confident in knowing that your hard work will pay off. You may wonder if all the planning, and the time it takes is it really worth it. Trust me, it is.
For more tips on, "How to Prepare for Home for Showings" see document below.
Just think the amount you invest is nowhere near the amount it will need to be reduced.